• The Top 5 Tech Investors For 2014
  • Don’t Let Negative Feedback Bring You Down

21 December 2009

poor feedbackIt’s an integral part of doing business and sooner or later you are going to come across it as well if you are an aspiring entrepreneur. Negative feedback can strike at the heart, especially if you are proud of the work that you do, as hopefully you are! It’s important to understand that, as much as anything else due to the law of averages, you are going to come across someone who is displeased with what you do for one reason or another. This does not have to be a client either, it can be someone who takes a completely polar opposite view to a post you may have placed on your company blog. This person will vent about her interpretation in the comments section and may cause your day to become rather unpleasant, quite quickly.

It’s important not to get too upset and to let these things become blown out of all proportion. If you express opinions within the articles that you write, the blogs you post or even the direct content within your webpages, then you must realize that other people will have different points of view. Some people choose to air these differences rather vocally and forcefully, while others are more tactful and subtle. As the old saying goes, it takes all types to make a world and you’re not going to be able to agree with everyone, no matter what you do or say.

If you receive negative feedback as a consequence of your work – maybe some articles that you have written or design projects you have undertaken – then you must analyze the situation. Most of us are taken aback by negative feedback and our natural reaction may be denial or disagreement. Never, under any circumstances, immediately fire back a reply to this person, most especially if he or she is a client, without calmly reviewing the circumstances! It doesn’t matter how nasty the negative feedback can be, you must compose a professional and well thought out response.

Try and understand where the person is coming from. Be honest with yourself as well and own up if you are in the wrong. Don’t be tempted to come up with any number of lame excuses or even made up responses, as even though you may feel justified, you should couch your response professionally and appropriately. Where possible, offer to make amends and in the case of a client, go out of your way to smooth things over as best you can.

It’s quite possible that you will receive some negative feedback and have no idea why this should be the case. Sometimes the person at the other end has their own agenda, a particular issue, or is just having a bad day. They may be choosing to vent their feelings at you or your organization and this is just unfortunate. Don’t be tempted to get into a “catfight” especially in a public forum such as blog commenting. Try and resolve criticism and move on in these cases.

To be a successful entrepreneur you need to have the skin of a rhinoceros and must not let negative feedback get you down. Always have pride in your work and pay attention to detail and the chances are that this kind of feedback will be few and far between.

Do you have a way of dealing with negative feedback?

Matthew Toren

, , ,

8 Responses to Don’t Let Negative Feedback Bring You Down

1. PS3 Fan December 21, 2009 at 6:53 am #

Firstly, we are all just people, not robots and we can be dissapointed, but we shouldn’t allow a negative feedback to bring us down. It’s better to evaluate the situation and make the right conclusion

2. Web Design Beach December 21, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

Surely, it’s very important to give your best to always find positive side of the negative feedback. It’s best to look at it as critic which should help you find problems that should be fixed, as no one is perfect.

3. Coree Silvera December 21, 2009 at 3:23 pm #

There will always be someone in the crowd that doesn’t agree with your opinion and that’s okay. If we all thought the same way and everything was the same, how would we ever be able to make a decision on what we liked or didn’t like? Or, how would we ever evolve without self critique?

I think that most of the time when we are lashing out at a negative comment (or even a negative posse) we are letting egos interfere. When I feel offended by something someone says or does I ask myself why it really bothers me. If it’s because of how it makes me feel, or can relate back to ME personally, I know I’m not being objective.

After a moment to think I can respond rather than react, and I can do it rationally. (Not always easy) Sometimes it takes more courage to change than it does to remain steadfast, but I weigh everything with my core values. If it doesn’t line up, I agree to disagree. Better to address it, move on and let it pass than fight it out online…which is probably what the commentator was hoping for.

4. Dape December 22, 2009 at 2:12 am #

People pleasing is similar to an in-growing toe nail can be painful and needs to be removed. Happy Xmas

5. Jose Anajero December 24, 2009 at 12:24 am #

Based on my own experience, I found that I grow when somebody whom I trust both praises and criticizes my work. I follow what Rick Warren says, “Praise and criticism are like bubble gum – you chew on them but you don’t swallow them.”

Thanks Matthew for this interesting post.

Jose

6. construction safety equipment December 24, 2009 at 1:51 am #

Its just that people are jealous of others and they bring down others.
      its just because they do not have the strenght do what others can or their parents or friends keep on comparing the person to another person who is good in it.they just wanna put others down .they do not have the potential to do what you can.so ignore them and move on in life.

7. Jeff December 28, 2009 at 11:03 am #

Great article and website!

8. Legitimate Work From Home Jobs December 29, 2009 at 5:00 pm #

When I receive a negative comment I try my best not to let it get to me. I think of it as a learning lesson – it helps me see someone else’s viewpoint. Not reacting immediately to a negative comment is very important. Just as in the “9-5″ work world, patience and diplomacy goes a long way.