• The Top 5 Tech Investors For 2014
  • Keeping it Together – Dropbox Brings Sanity to Your Devices

20 April 2010

Dropbox.comIf you’re like a lot of people, you have a desktop, laptop, smartphone, and maybe even an iPad.  So what do you do when you have a brilliant idea while sitting at Starbucks working on your laptop or in your car with just your iPhone or Blackberry handy, and you want to recall the document you created later, when you’re working at home on your PC?  Chances are, you do something like email it to yourself or use a flash stick to transfer the file.  Well, once you start using Dropbox, you’ll see that as so 2009!

Dropbox.com

The folks at Dropbox say their application is like having a “magic pocket.”  We don’t know about all that, but what it is, is pretty cool. There are a lot of online file storage apps available, and most offer pretty much the same thing – a place where you can upload files to back them up, share them, or have them available when you’re online.  What sets Dropbox apart is its ability to automatically sync all your devices, whether they’re PC or Mac, mobile or fixed, so that the files you have on one are the files you have on all.  Think about that for a minute.  If you’ve ever had a device stolen, fried, or dropped in a swimming pool, you’ll see the huge advantage to the sync abilities of Dropbox.  But even barring the need for disaster recovery, the simple convenience of having access to your files anywhere, anytime is worth the price of Dropbox.

Speaking of price, here’s the scoop on Dropbox pricing: Up to 2 GB of space is completely free, and that’s as much as many people will ever need.  If you do want more, a huge step up to the 50 GB plan will only set you back $9.99 a month, and the 100 GB plan is just $19.99 a month.

Features You’ll Love

The basics of Dropbox are enough to make anyone want to use it, but they’re just the beginning of the value.  Here are just a few of the highlights:

• Sync files of any size or type
    • Sync files on Windows, Mac, and Linux OS
    • Mobile Dropbox for iPhone, iTouch, Blackberry, and coming soon – Android!
    • Automatically syncs when new files or changes are detected
    • Share files by granting permissions, and see changes instantly
    • File undelete capabilities with 30-day undelete history (unlimited undo/undelete on paid plans)

There are a ton more features you’ll love, so check out their features page to get the whole story.  Bottom line on this app is that it has everything you need to keep all your stuff together and access it from all your devices, and that’s more than cool, it’s time and effort-saving, which is critical for entrepreneurs.

Note: We are not affiliates of Dropbox, and this is not a sponsored post.  We just love to pass on great apps when we find them.

, , , ,

12 Responses to Keeping it Together – Dropbox Brings Sanity to Your Devices

1. pandora jewelry April 20, 2010 at 7:17 am #

Yes, Dropbox is a great option to store the files online. I am also using it to share some data with some of my friends. I usually upload the audio files there and send an email to the group to see the new updated files. I can also access these files from anywhere, from any system etc. I really like that.

2. Susan April 20, 2010 at 8:54 am #

I really like dropbox. If you want to try, take this link for +250MB free extra space:

Susan =)

3. chalikovas April 20, 2010 at 10:55 pm #

nice information i really like it , Thanks for sharing

4. Laptop Briefcases April 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

Sounds like a good service, but personally I will just keep e-mailing myself. I just don’t have enough documents that I work on from more than one computer. I will keep this in mind if that ever changes though.

5. Credit Girl April 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

This sounds like a pretty cool thing. But I don’t know about paying for it when I probably wouldn’t use it all that often.

6. Spindle Repair April 21, 2010 at 1:24 pm #

I will try the free version but I would really need the 50GB package because I do a lot of things that require more storage. But you can’t beat free….

7. Game Critic April 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

I use it to keep my iPhone and laptop in sync to upload pics mostly but I’ve now switched to Tweetdeck for uploading pics.

8. Samantha Milner April 23, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Hi guys,

Dropbox is not an application that I need right now. But I would definitely consider using it in the near future. Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,

Sam
      X

9. Legitimate Work From Home Jobs April 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

This is why I like reading your blog – always introducing me to new tools. I think I’ll ry the free version, at least initially.

10. handmade holiday gift ideas April 26, 2010 at 12:26 am #

I’ve sent multiple emails to Dropbox about my fantastic “Dropbox Cloud” idea which essentially gives you soft links to your online account through a desktop folder, and then only pulls them from the web when you want to access the file.

11. JohnAtBlogtrepreneur April 26, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

@handmade – That sounds pretty cool. I know a lot of companies (especially tech companies) have a blanket policy that they don’t respond to ideas for improvements or new features/products. Not sure if you ever heard the story, but several years ago Apple got a lot of bad press for responding to a little girl’s letter with a letter from their lawyers saying they don’t accept unsolicited ideas. The point is they’re afraid of having to pay royalties to someone if they use an idea that they might have already had in development. I’m not sure if this is the case with Dropbox, but it could be. It’s a shame, but it’s the way it goes sometimes.

Thanks for reading and sharing!
      John

12. dental hygienist April 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm #

Wow this is a great resource.. I’m enjoying it.. good article