• The Top 5 Tech Investors For 2014
  • ClickBank Pro Tip: Choose Low Gravity Products for Higher Sales

31 August 2012

Clickbank Affiliate TipIf you’re familiar with affiliate marketing, then you’re probably familiar with ClickBank. ClickBank is one of the largest online marketplaces in the world where downloadable digital products are available. You can purchase any digital products, such as software and eBooks, easily on the website, although many people use the website either to publish information products or simply to find products and promote them online as an affiliate marketer. ClickBank also provides tools that help both the publishers and the affiliates to sell the items with little hassle. Affiliates search the ClickBank marketplace to find a product that is suitable to promote, and ClickBank provides statistical information about the product that reveals how successful it is in the marketplace.

Popular isn’t always better!

Most of the affiliates, especially those who are new to the business, often choose products to promote that have the highest gravity or popularity, which can actually make them more difficult to earn sales.

Gravity shows the popularity of a particular product among marketers and how well the product is generating sales. (How ClickBank actually determines gravity is proprietary; however, in general, it’s safe to say that the greater the number, the higher the popularity of the product.) Many affiliates make the mistake of choosing the products with the highest gravity when they should go for the items that have less gravity.

Why is this so? For one thing, the products that have high gravity are very often new products that have been in the marketplace for only a few weeks. Therefore, it is really hard to determine if a high-gravity product is of good quality or not. Also, it takes a few weeks for unsatisfied customers to return the product. A lot of people might be purchasing the product, but it’s also possible that the same buyers will return it in the coming weeks.

You will also receive a great deal of competition if you choose to promote the products with high gravity scores. A high score is indicative that the item is being highly promoted, which will have you competing with many other marketers who could be either newbies or well-established. Before committing to promote the product, keep in mind that today’s hot product is tomorrow’s forgotten one. Many hot products receive strong sales when they’re fresh, but their sales drop to null when something new and better comes along.

Fortunately,  ClickBank has thousands of products that you can promote. Many are new, but most of them have been in the market for a long time and have an established record of sales over a longer period. So if you’re a rookie with ClickBank, it’s better to take some time to find the high quality products that have been there for a while. You probably won’t face the heavy competition that exists for the popular products, and you’ll be promoting products that you know will be stable sellers for the long haul.

Do you have experience with ClickBank? What do you think of the gravity score? Please share your insights in the comments section.

Adam Toren is an Award Winning Author, Serial Entrepreneur and Investor. He Co-Founded YoungEntrepreneur.com along with his brother Matthew. Adam is co-author of the newly released book: Small Business, Big Vision: “Lessons on How to Dominate Your Market from Self-Made Entrepreneurs Who Did it Right” and also co-author of Kidpreneurs.

, , , , , , ,

8 Responses to ClickBank Pro Tip: Choose Low Gravity Products for Higher Sales

1. Daniel September 1, 2012 at 2:42 am #

Adam,I think you just hit the nail on the head, your report is right on time because what you just said go with my experience as a salesman over a decade, where you just see people rushing at a product because it’s new, beginners luck is favoring the product and few weeks down the line most people begin to complain about the inefficiencies of the products,unseen defects and so that product’s popularity just goes down completely I hope people will learn from report.
      thank a lot.

2. Steve Pronger September 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

It’s been a while since I’ve been actively involved with affiliate marketing and CB but you’re right…a popular product doesn’t necessarily make it a good product. And if there’s one I learnt it’s you don’t want to promote dud products. There are plenty of them on CB. but there are also gems which you will be proud to promote.

3. Srikaanth P.A January 25, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Thanks for the tips Adam…
      Wish me luck on my journey…

4. Grega Kostanjsek January 29, 2013 at 5:51 am #

Hi Adam!

I am also an affiliate with clickbank. I’ve been in affiliate marketing for about 1 year now and I am wondering about picking NEW products with Age less then 1 week and Gravity around 1-2.

What I am trying to say – If this kind of product succeeds after 1 year with gravity over 100 I am bound to be on the first page and have tons of traffic right?

But if the product fails my affiliate site will be useless..

Anyway I want your opinion on promoting new products instead of the ones already somehow successful. What do you think?

Also I’d like you to check out my websites and reply me with a critic.

5. Raviraj February 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

I am still at the doors of entering clickbank ..was searching which to choose.. So this post popped up on google. Thanks for sucha good post. I will take care to choose low gravity product! :-)

6. Brian February 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

I have just sighed up with Clickbank. I was wondering what you would consider a low gravity number? I would guess that you would not want to go too low, so that there were no sales at all. Thanks for your article.

7. Alex February 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Nice article. I guess this is why I have not being so successful over the past few months. I’ll definitely give this a try. I wonder if having too low of a gravity number will negatively affect you. Anyways, thanks for the article once again. Cheers!

8. Aaron April 27, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

Just got my check in the mail from Clickbank yesterday. I’ll admit that all my commissions come from sites that have a gravity of 10 or less. Matter of fact one of my most successful ones has a gravity of 8.49 (probably most of my sales). The thing I learned a long time ago is that if you promote a product that has been hammered all over the place your less likely to get a sale. If you promote a Clickbank product that not many people promote then your basically opening the doors for greater sales. Not only that, if you decide to do PPC then your competition will be low, as well as, your CPC. Some ads I run I’m only paying .05- .10 a click. That helps when you getting a 22-25% conversion.

My advice is to take some time to really go through a lot of those sites that hardly anyone looks at cause of low gravity. Find some goods ones with a great landing pages (videos do well for me). If it appeals to you the least little bit, then I’m sure others will feel the same and spend the money. Also, I try to stay away from the sites that have landing pages a mile long…………. If you wouldn’t read all that crap, neither will they. Just a tip!

Remember, low gravity, means low competition, just be sure you pick the right product to promote and start cashing in those initial sales.

Cheers!