• 3 Ways To Up Your Web Content And Up Your Game
  • Buying And Selling Domains: A Quick Guide

22 December 2007

Buy Domain

Domaining is becoming a very popular investing and business opportunity. Although the business of investing in high quality domain names has been operating quietly for almost 10 years, it is now gaining notoriety. Recently there have been many articles in highly respected newspapers and magazines regarding the practice. In the past year I’ve become an amateur domain investor and although I’m not an expert I’ll share with you what I know so that you don’t have to make the mistakes I made.

What makes a domain name valuable?

1. Keyword Generic. Domain names like www.phone.com or www.cellphone.com are great keywords because they tell you exactly what the site is about and users are likely to type in that name directly into their navigation bar. Also if you create a valuable website you’ve made yourself an instant authority on the subject.

If you can’t get a 1 word generic then try and find 2 or 3 word ones that are relevant to the subject you are searching. Like Self Defense – www.selfdefense.com is obviously taken, but I found www.selfdefenseinstructor.com was available and I’m creating a website on it.

2. Length. The shorter the domain name the better because users are more likely to remember and directly type in the name instead of searching for what they need on Google.

Pretty much all of the valuable domains are taken if not all.

Example: www.Phone.com.

• a. 1 word domains are premium domains
    • b. 2-3 word domains are good but not the best
    • c. 4+ words are not great quality domain names and you should avoid them.

3. .Com is King – Although .net and .org are not bad when it comes down to it the highest value is always given to .com. It’s simply the extension that everyone is the most familiar with.

4. Buying and Selling Domains – High value domains are almost always sold at auctions that bring out investors that have deep pockets. Some of these auctions include: Moniker.com, t.r.a.f.f.i.c., Afternic.com and Sedo.com. However, there are a lot of private party sales that no one knows about and those are mostly done through contacts that sellers have with investors or are able to find end user buyers for valuable domains.

For example if you own: alcoholtreatmentclinics.com, which I do, it’s probably not that valuable to an investor. However, to an alcohol treatment center it could have great value.

a. Warning: Don’t buy trash domains in webmaster forums. If it’s a quality domain name then great but otherwise don’t even think about it. It’s not worth wasting your money. There are too many wannabe investors regging crap domains and reselling them to ignorant wannabe investors in webmaster forums. I’m speaking from experience and am looking to let a lot of domains go when its time to renew.

b. Now that I’ve said that there are honest opportunities in forums to buy and sell your domains. Just be wary of what you are buying and selling. Some forums are: www.namepros.com, www.dnforum.com and www.forums.digitalpoint.com.

To rap things up I would say that this advice is simply for those who want to invest or purchase and develop high quality domain names. I know for those who are developing for SEO may disagree but this post is not addressing those issues and many domains that a domainer would not find valuable can be very profitable by an experienced SEOer.

Another hybrid form of Domaining is a SEOmainer, or one who invest in and develop quality keyword domain names. I am personally trying to become an SEOmainer as the domain market seems to be slowing and is for more long term investors at the current state.

This was a guest post by Aaron Kuroiwa owner of a Website Translation service that improves SEO and Tattoo Translation service for Chinese and Kanji tattoos.

30 Responses to Buying And Selling Domains: A Quick Guide

1. SEO in China December 22, 2007 at 12:33 pm #

Very insightful, thanks for sharing. Dot coms are great but it is very rare nowadays to get one that hasn’t been already registered. Country-specific domain names including .de in Germany and .cn in China are great beat on a local dimension.
      Cheers,
      Pat

2. Jim December 22, 2007 at 3:46 pm #

Great post. I wish I had saw these kinds of posts when I first started domaining. It is easy to get caught up in the feeling of earning a quick profit. My advice would be to slow down, take your time and research, just like you would a stock – the difference between stocks and domain names is the returns on domains can be much greater if you play your cards right.

3. Steven Snell December 22, 2007 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks for the information. I’ve been looking into this a little bit recently, but haven’t attempted anything yet.

4. Bill December 22, 2007 at 8:23 pm #

This is good advice and I just wrote an article about how you can buy recently expired or soon to be expired domain names. You can read about it on my blog.

5. adnan December 24, 2007 at 11:23 am #

@ SEO in China: True – all of the 3 and 4 letter domains are gone, and the 5 letter domains are on their way out too. However, there are some gems still to be had – but it takes a lot of digging. I like to use the AJAX Domain Checker for quick domain surfing. You’re right also in that country-specific domains can be great – I’m sure that there are some awesome domains there.

@ Jim: Thanks buddy and thanks for the awesome advice – how many domains do you currently have in your portfolio?

@ Steven: No problems mate.

@ Bill: Cheers Bill and I’ve checked out the article. The problem with waiting for expired domains, is that if the domain is popular, then there will more than likely be a bidding war, which may well go above the initial price – so be careful there.

6. CCNA Discovery December 24, 2007 at 11:41 pm #

Thanks for the interesting domain tips Aaron!

7. Dwayne Charrington December 25, 2007 at 12:25 am #

Very interesting article. You’re right about the one-worded domain names. I was working on a project recently and a one-worded domain is like finding a diamond at the beach.

in the age of web 2.0, if one spelling variation is taken just drop a vowel and it might be available, this of course won’t work for everyone.

- Dwayne Charrington.

8. Neotrepreneur January 2, 2008 at 1:32 am #

Since all the premium domains are taken , i guess the next good investment would be brandable domains or web 2.0 style like flickr or beebo

9. Hair Loss Cure January 2, 2008 at 6:06 am #

Very informative post. Frankly speaking I didn’t know that one needs to think about so many criteria’s before buying or selling a domain.

10. Website Translation January 4, 2008 at 2:31 am #

I hear a lot of doom and gloom from you guys. There are still a lot of good keyword domains out there.

For example I’ve recently purchased (in the last 3 months)

All of which were unregistered. You have to get away from this made up name crap. Of course you can find a few good ones that maybe someday someone will want to use for a business. However, the likely hood of that happening is slim.

It’s better to buy 1 good domain rather than 10 average or below average ones.

-4 letters can be found for $100 or less and will continue to grow in value.
      -There are still great 2 word domains in industry specific keywords.
      -brandable are good for longterm buys not easy to flip.
      -You can find diamonds in the rough from people getting rid of domains that are above average in forums for a little more than the reg fee.

my final word. Be optimistic and picky. Don’t buy crappy domains cause buyers are becoming more savvy and you’ll have a harder time flipping them.

11. Website Translation January 4, 2008 at 2:33 am #

If anyone is interested in buying good domains names I’ve got some quality ones that I don’t plan on developing. Send me an email.

aaron @ aaronkuroiwa .com

• Kelly April 17, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Hi Aaron,
        I have been looking for some decent Domain’s if you have some names that have potential with some TLC, possibly some I could develop into nice sites and either hang on to or flip after I have established some solid traffic and good PR. Give me a chat on my e mail with the subject line to say ” AARON HERE, URGENT KELLY, OPEN ASAP” I can call you if you leave a tel # or just let me know a few of the names that you think would be good and leave me a way to communicate of your choice. If you are a member of the War Room in the W.S.O., you can alway’s PM me for privacy as well. FYI, I am in CA USA.
        Thank you very much for the invite of possible names, they are very hard to find. !!!

12. Dave Starr --- ROI Guy January 4, 2008 at 12:47 pm #

Excellent examples there, Aaron. And, like you, I’m very much convinced that the “predictions of doom” are made by those who don’t want to do the work .. or people who think they can scare others away and keep business for themselves.

I’ve also seen it said by some people who have a lot of domain knowledge … if you are looking for a domain to build up, it’s a no-brainer that you want the .com. But if you are building a keyword oriented site … say for AdSense or a landing page/sales site for an affilaite venture, the keywords are more important than the TLD … perhaps that’s true.

13. adnan January 4, 2008 at 3:43 pm #

I don’t know that much about the domain industry – but I know that Aaron has great knowledge in this area – so thanks for the input buddy.

I know that I managed to find a great domain name the other day – and whenever I need keyword related .com’s, they’re pretty easy to find too. Using a thesaurus to get those other words you hadn’t thought of is a great idea.

Think outside the box and the domaining world is your oyster.

14. Tattoo Translation January 4, 2008 at 4:49 pm #

There are always domains to be found that are worth registering.

.net is still a decent domain for a website but .com is better. I’ve regged a few .nets lately because that’s all that was available.

There are still good domains out there. Not all of them are investment quality but they are still good for a business, blog or info website.

Hardwork is required to find good domain names. Sometimes I’ll look for 2-3 hours and find 2 that are good and other times I’ll find a dozen. I don’t register them all but track all of my research in an excel file and I can reg one and then if I decide it’s worth it get the others later.

Don’t get overzealous and reg every decent domain name you find. There has to be a market for it. Either to resell or develop. If you can’t do either in a reasonable amount of time it could just be tying up your money and prevent you from getting another one that is even better.

15. Web Design Dude February 22, 2008 at 2:11 am #

If you know where to look, there are some killer domains coming up. I just stole one, and when I say stole, I mean “stole it” for the price I paid. Also the domain has a PR of 7.

16. Internet Business Broker May 6, 2008 at 6:32 am #

My company and website get approached weekly by wannabe domain name traders with what they refer to as “premium’ domain names! Most of the time they are long strand non generic domains – not dotcoms and not ‘premium. We do get to represent some high caliber domain names that are ultra premium like newspapers.com , parties.com , smoking.com , generators.com , homegym.com and many others. These have immediate recognition value and brandability and can command greater traction in the SEO game. These are not domains for the weak of heart or strapped for cash crowd – all 6-7 figure opportunities!

17. Noobpreneur September 13, 2008 at 7:38 am #

I’m not sure that 1 word, generic domain name will worth a significant dollar.

I own philantrophy.net, but I’m not sure it’s worth much.

Any domain name valuation service you recommend?

Cheers!

18. Domainbörse August 10, 2009 at 8:16 am #

Thank you for guide. But i don’t think, that “com is king”. :)

Regards

Thomas

19. dancing classes March 12, 2010 at 6:57 am #

[..] thanks for this guides kep it up[..]

20. turnkey websites February 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

There are many websites to make money from your domain names. You can sell flip the domain for cash if you choose the right domain names. I have sold domain names for hundreds of dollars just because I was patient and waited for the right time to sell.
      You can also take an alternative route and build websites on the domain names then offer the domain names and websites for sale as turnkey websites.

21. Dom Aina January 31, 2013 at 5:55 am #

I really appreciate this article because it gives me more idea on what to do before getting aged domains. You can purchased old aged domains from different sources as long as they are reliable and has the list of high standard aged domains. I recently got mine from DomainKa.com.

22. Ricardo Main March 9, 2013 at 4:21 am #

Thank you, domain buyers, pros and beginners, will definitely find this info useful and profitable. You can purchase domains from different sources as long as they are reliable.

23. Hal May 15, 2013 at 11:59 pm #

Very good post. I just stumbled on your weblog and wished to state that I have really enjoyed surfing about your blog posts. In the end I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you create again soon!

24. Georgi July 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Adam , do you have any idea how much these kind of domains could cost ? What kind of budget we should have?