• The Top 5 Tech Investors For 2014
  • Ten Online Tools Your Business Should Be Using

3 March 2009

online-tools-business-should-be-usingThere are new and exciting business tools being developed every day. These can help you improve your productivity and open up entirely new channels for your business to thrive online. While there are hundreds of these kinds of applications available, I’ve handpicked for you my top ten favorites:

1. Exploratree: http://www.exploratree.org.uk/

Mind mapping is a technique for developing new ideas based on non-linear thinking. It allows you to solve problems by encouraging your brain to think creatively and explore outside of traditional project planning guidelines. This is a free tool, and you can not only save your own mind maps, but you can check out other members’ saved maps for a community database of problem solving ideas.

2. Text the Mob: http://www.textthemob.com/

This is a business version of American Idol’s audience vote! You can create polls or message boards online, project them on a screen during a presentation, and then have audience members text in their votes and comments to share with everyone. An amazing way to get people involved at your speaking engagements, sales presentations, and training seminars.

3. Zen Desk: http://www.zendesk.com/

By far the best of the web-based helpdesk applications out there; Zen Desk has clients like Twitter and MSNBC, but don’t let that fool you—it is simple to install and use even for a small business like yours.

4. Start PR: http://startpr.com/

This application helps you monitor your company’s reputation by skimming through social media sites and looking for user feedback about you and compiling it into one place. It’s a great way to manage all your Web 2.0 accounts and find out where your business is thriving online.

5. LItmos: http://www.litmos.com/

This is an online training tool which allows you to create videos, powerpoint slides, and instructional documents to give your clients or employees the training they need—even if they are thousands of miles away. As more and more businesses begin to work ‘virtually’, tools like this will be the office space of the future.

6. Clarity Accounting: http://www.clarityaccounting.com/

One of the most comprehensive and easy-to-use accounting applications (yes, it can be both!), Clarity lets you access your account from any location, provides reporting tools, and supports multiple users.

7. My Client Spot: http://www.myclientspot.com/index2/

Allows freelancers and independent contractors to manage their clients and projects online—giving access to everyone 24/7 and making it easy to manage multiple sources of revenue.

8. Skype: http://www.skype.com/

It’s an instant messenger. It’s a VOIP phone service. It’s a Video Conference host. It’s a file sharing tool. Skype does lots of things very well; and it is one of the most widely used applications in the world. Your clients probably use Skype—so why wouldn’t you?

9. Lattiss: http://www.lattiss.com/

A local directory/scheduling application that lets new and existing clients find you and schedule their own appointments at their convenience. Whether you are a masseuse or a Realtor, you can make use of this great product.

10. DocLanding: http://www.doclanding.com/

There are lots of online document sharing sites, but DocLanding is an entire file management system, and it is HIPAA and financial standard compliant for the highest level of security you’ll find online.

Here is an additional resource if you’re looking to compare credit card processing rates and reviews.

Are you using any online tools that you think make a huge difference in the way you run your business? Leave us a comment and let us know!

, ,

31 Responses to Ten Online Tools Your Business Should Be Using

1. Sean McPheat March 3, 2009 at 2:02 pm #

These are great tools.

I use the mind mapping software and encourage all of my team to use it as well.

It’s become a way of life and really makes our projects more productive

Sean

2. Jones March 3, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

We tried Zendesk but prefered HelpSpot (http://www.userscape.com/products/helpspot/) instead for our help desk. You can install it on your own servers which is a big plus and is more affordable as well.

• tom March 10, 2011 at 5:49 am #

we use Zendesk and love it:-)

3. Dave Starr March 3, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

These are some great pointouts. In particular, most of us who aren’t very far along the making money path tend to ignore taxes until it is next year and time to rtry to comply … an dpay, if we made any money, that is, and we often ignore clients. If someone comes to you, buys something and pays, they are worth a lot in the future … well worth saying thnak you to and keeping in toch with.

4. May Chu March 3, 2009 at 5:22 pm #

Thank you for including Clarity Accounting on your comprehensive list!

5. Kawasaki motorcycles March 4, 2009 at 4:54 am #

I think about what your blog posting is referring to a lot these days. I try to pick the social sites that I GET the most. I dont just choose every site under the sun. It could be that is just my style and way of email marketing , but if Im going to be successful I have to try and stay true to my visions of where I see things heading for me.

6. Bratwurst Recipes March 4, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

I really like Skype, It is easy to use, and plus the phone rates are ALOT cheaper compared to using a house phone for business. And also I like the privacy that skype brings.

Till then,

Jean

7. Jennie March 6, 2009 at 1:24 am #

Thank you for including Lattiss online scheduling tool in your list! I believe many of our customers could benefit from the list of tools you have suggested.

8. Nicole Fougere March 8, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

Great to see Litmos has made your list!

It’s also worth mentioning that we now have eCommerce features which enable our clients to sell their courses on to third parties creating an additional revenue stream for these companies, simply through monetizing their IP. A great opportunity in these tough economic times.

Thanks again Blogtrepreneur!

Nicole Fougere
      Litmos

9. mwc March 9, 2009 at 5:27 am #

Ok, Skype… And how about Twitter?

10. dave March 17, 2009 at 3:42 am #

These are all good sites, but what about sites like http://www.calcResult.com ??

11. Hansus May 30, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

Great tools…here’s an awesome site I found as far as online tools are concerned, I think they are numbering somewhere over 225 free web tools from throughout the internet. If you liked these 10 then give this site a peek-a-boo as well.

12. Beachbody Coach September 4, 2009 at 6:41 am #

Thanks for this post. I will make sure everyone on my team checks it out. Great tools to use. Thanks again.

13. rosario February 13, 2010 at 9:59 am #

Thanks, is a great opportunity in these tough economic time :)

14. Dennis February 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

Hey thanks for the great information on legitimate online businesses. I search the net looking for this type of content to give me ideas on future articles that I am going to write on this same general subject. Appreciated reading your article and information on this particular subject.

15. April February 25, 2010 at 5:27 am #

I’m now a big fan of Skype. I’d shied away from it for a long time but now I realize just how cool it is. Plus you can use many of the functions for free!

16. business opportunities August 9, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

I think the skype app is an invaluable tool in my business, instead of burning up minutes on the phone or international fees, just load the skype! You can talk for hour or MORE for FREE!

17. internal audit November 3, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

Use the StartPR app all the time. Its a been a big help to us.

18. Kelvin March 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

I would like to recommend Feng Office, it is a project management software which you can install on your own server as well.
      I use it for some weeks now and must say I am impressed of the possibilities.
      You can download a free version to install on your server or you can pay them to host this for you.

19. Peter March 10, 2011 at 4:52 am #

I second Kelvin. We’ve been using Feng Office for a while now and had great results.

20. Craig November 14, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Decent list, obviously there are a multitude of choices out there and we need to choose the tools that will work best for our unique business. I recently posted a similar blog for the tools we use: 5 Valuable Online Tools for Agencies and Entrepreneurs http://bit.ly/vjouG8

21. Time Clock August 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

What about time tracking software? for example Replicon and an invoicing software such as Invoicera?

22. Marianna Mills October 3, 2012 at 6:23 am #

Thank you for a great tool for online work. I personally use Skype, google docs & analytics, twitter chats. Incidentally, the VoIP-tools I liked more TeamWox Communicator corporate messenger. About them good reviews on the Internet, and is designed for business users. For mass communications better use spiritdsp.com Even with the popularity of the SPIRIT more than Skype and Google Talk

23. Peter October 24, 2012 at 7:36 am #

I have a feeling that I have been missing out on all of the great info on this entrepreneur blog, glad I found it now.

24. BulletProofBodyArmorHQ October 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Skype is hands down the most invaluable tool on the market today. We use it daily to do contracts for military protection every day. We sell Helmets and Bullet proof vests to Law enforcement and law abiding citizens everyday and its nice to do large purchases of these items face to face.
      Great Info Thanks!

25. John May 21, 2013 at 12:24 am #

Hi Adam

I loved the article .Great info about online tools .I want to add ProProfs online training software.