- 5 Questions to Ask Yourself When Choosing a Business Credit Card
- Blinkist Helps You Read Books in Only 15 Minutes
- Top 20 Small Business Bloggers Dominating the Market
- How MyCrowd Is Creating Efficiencies For Entrepreneurs And Freelancers
- How Writing a Book Can Help Market Your Business
- The Top 5 Tech Investors For 2014
Monitor Your Rankings with Google SERP Checker
Every website owner wants to monitor how well they are doing with their SEO rankings. Google’s algorithm is so complex and constantly changing that you need to keep experimenting. However, it is essential that you check how those practices actually influence your rankings. Fortunately, there are tools available to help you.
The SERP tool allows you to see where your page ranking is currently. One of the most effective is at the Easy SEO tracking website. However, many programmers have developed similar tools that can help website owners track their rankings for any of their keywords.
Another advantage of the SERP ranking tool is that it can help you compare your rankings with your competitors. It is just as important to track changes in your competitors’ rankings as it is your own. If they start improving their own rankings, that may mean that you should start stepping up your game. Even if you are outranking your competitors, you need to keep up with what they are doing so that they don’t overtake you.
If you check back in a week or so, you will have given your keywords enough time for your changes to have registered with Google. However, there are a couple of reasons why you have to be careful how you use this tool:
- Remember that there are countless variables that affect your rankings, so you can’t be exactly sure what effect your changes had. You have to use your own intuition.
- Remember that the time it takes for your site to be crawled can vary for a number of reasons. You can never really be sure when your changes take effect. Sudden changes in your SERP rankings may actually be a reflection of changes you made weeks ago.
- The tool is most useful when your site is already ranking fairly well for your given keywords. If you are at the bottom of the SERP rankings, then the tool may not be able to track changes in your rankings.
There are going to be limitations with any SEO tool you use. While you will never find a perfect tool, you are going to be a lot worse off if you try to optimize your site without even trying to track how you are well you are performing.
There are probably similar tools available for other search engines as well. Although Google is the most popular search engine, it only reflects 70% of all search engine traffic on the Internet. Many Internet marketers argue that they see almost no traffic from other search engines, but that may be due to the fact that they don’t bother to optimize for them. It is a good idea to check your rankings with other search engines as well and see if you can increase your search engine traffic with them.
You need to always keep in mind how competitive Google is. There may be hundreds of sites that are competing for the same keyword as you. You need to really keep up with what is going on if you are going to have any hope of getting to the top of the front page. There are many tools that you can use to analyze the quality of your backlinks and other elements of your SEO strategy. You might as well track your overall rankings to know where you stand.
About the Author: Kalen Smith is the founder of Engineer-a-Business, a provider of business-to-business services and informational products for developing technology businesses. He works with a diverse group of clients ranging from college engineering students, developers of mobile applications, and consultants in any field, looking to expand their services.